Departments and Ministries
Click here to register for 27th Annual Women's Prayer Retreat!
The Department of Women 's Ministries exists to uphold, encourage, and challenge Adventist women in their pilgrimage as disciples of Jesus Christ and members of His world church.
Our mission is in the larger sense common to all Christians -- that of uplifting Christ in the church and in the world. But more specifically, we are called to:
- elevate women as persons of inestimable worth because they have been created and redeemed
- enable women to deepen their faith and experience spiritual growth and renewal
- build networks among women in the world church to encourage bonds of friendship and mutual support and the creative exchange of ideas and information
- mentor young Adventist women, encouraging their involvement, and creating paths for them as they reach for their potential in Christ
- address the concerns of women in a global context
- bring women's unique perspectives to the issues facing the world church
- seek expanding avenues of dynamic Christian service for women
- challenge each Adventist woman with her potential to complement the gifts given to other women and men as they work side by side to further the global mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church — that out of the fullness we as women have personally found in Jesus Christ, we may be empowered to share the good news within our families, among our fellow believers, and in ever expanding circles in the unsaved world.
The Department of Women's Ministries is committed to encouraging, challenging, equipping, and nurturing Seventh-day Adventist women as they do their part in carrying the Gospel message to the world.
"The Lord has a work for women as well as for men. They may take their places in His work at this crisis, and He will work through them… They can do in families a work that men cannot do, a work that reaches the inner life. They can come close to the hearts of those whom men cannot reach. Their labor is needed. " --Welfare Ministry, p 145.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The primary purpose of the Department of Women's Ministries is to nurture, facilitate, and support women in their Christian lives as disciples of Jesus Christ and members of His World Church. In consultation with administration and other departments of the Church, the department shares the responsibility for developing a global evangelistic strategy and provides training to equip the women of the church to uplift Christ in the Church and in the world. "... we may do a noble work for God if we will. Woman does not know her power ...There is a higher purpose for woman, a grander destiny. She should develop and cultivate her powers, for God can employ them in the great work of saving souls from eternal ruin."- Testimonies for the Church, vol 4, p 642.
The Department of Women's Ministries will focus on the six critical issues that were identified by the division Women's Ministries directors, and voted by the Women's Ministries Advisory, as being barriers preventing women from reaching their full potential: illiteracy, poverty, threats to health, length of workday and poor working conditions, abuse, and the need for training and mentoring for greater involvement in the mission of the Church.
Director and Associate Directors
The Department of Women's Ministries shall have a director and associate directors as needed. Qualified personnel shall be elected on the basis of their expertise and experience to care for the activities and responsibilities encompassed by the work of the department.
Each individual shall have specific responsibilities and assignments, which will be made known to other appropriate levels of Church organization.
Responsibilities of Director
- The departmental director or designee shall chair the Women's Ministries Advisory. The director will maintain continuous contact with the staff and coordinate staff functions.
- The director shall represent, and serve as advocate for, departmental goals, programs, and activities to the administrative bodies of the Church; shall represent administrative viewpoints to the departmental staff; and shall serve as liaison between other departments and the Department of Women's Ministries.
Additional links on this topic:
|Women's Retreat 2015|
|Department of Women's Ministries Church Manual Statement|